CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sloppy Joe Pizza with Cornbread Crust

Preheat oven to 450.

2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 Eggs
2 Cups Buttermilk (I use regular milk often)

Beat egg and milk. Add dry ingredients. Beat well.

Put 2 tablespoons of melted butter in the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. Add batter. Bake for 15 minutes (or until cornbread is done).

While the cornbread is baking.
In skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add 1/2 onion (I use red) chopped fine. Brown for a few minutes. Add 1 pound of ground meat (I use turkey). Cook until browned. Add 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and a few squirts of ketchup. Add a little water and cook until it looks like sloppy joes. Remove from heat and add 1 cup frozen or canned corn.

When cornbread is done baking, remove from oven. Cover with sloppy joe mixture. Cover with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions (if you have them). Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Let rest for a couple minutes before serving. If I have cilantro, I add that after it comes out of the oven.

*Note--I think you can use 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mixes as directed. I can't do that because Roger is gluten intolerant. We love this dish and make it often.

0 comments: